Gopsall Hall, the seat of Earl Howe, was built in the year 1765 by Alderman Westly of Leicester. ... who took the name and arms of Howe by royal sign manual in 1821. ... the goods are of the commoner description, and the production furnishes employment for a vast number of persons in the adjacent villages. ... Here is a free-school ; and the petty sessions for the hundred are occasionally held here.
|Title||:||The English Counties Delineated|