4.11 - 1251 ratings - Source

Bemidji links its early history to that of Shay-now-ish-kung, or Chief Bemidji, who lived with his family on the shores of the lovely lake bearing his name. After the Carson brothers opened their trading post in 1888, logging flourished and lumber camps boomed. Bemidji was incorporated in 1896, and the railroad reached the town in 1898. Hotels, businesses, and saloons mushroomed near the railroad tracks. Saloons and a brisk nightlife kept Bemidji in the news until federal agent W.E. qPussyfootq Johnson and his deputies closed the saloons and made it a more respectable place to live. Early settlers took advantage of the beautiful shoreline to develop summer hotels and parks. Kodak reported that the spot where the statues of Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox stand is the second-most-photographed tourist attraction in the United States.... extended its lines north, south, east, and west, it became more important than ever as a center for medical care. ... Numerous buildings and roads deteriorated during the Great Depression, and the town was the beneficiary of many projects ... Bemidji men such as Ralph Gracie and Charles Van Masoner volunteered for military service even before the first draft in 1917. ... Over the years, the town has been used by the military, by airplane manufacturers, and by the Ford Company as aanbsp;...

Author:Cecelia Wattles McKeig
Publisher:Arcadia Publishing - 2013


You Must CONTINUE and create a free account to access unlimited downloads & streaming